The start of a new year is always exciting. It's a time for reflection, for dreaming, and for fresh starts, I start each new year with a look back at what was accomplished, what was missing, and what was a surprise.
Of the milestones I set out for myself a year ago today, a few things stood out.
- I only knit 2 out of my planned 12 socks, but I knit a sweater for myself for the first time.
- I didn't create any new products, but I relaunched my brand and my blog.
- I didn't try any dye projects in 2017, but I started the Good Knits project, which I am excited to expand in 2018.
So even though I set goals at the start of every year, and at the end I find that they don't go exactly as I had planned them, I actually find that they rarely do. The planning for me, is not about achieving every goal. Planning is about focusing energy on activities that keep me passionate about life. That's the part that I enjoy.
My advice: don't spend energy worrying about the misses in your year, instead choose the joy in the journey.
What will 2018 bring? A fellow maker @elisejoy said something on social media recently that really resonated with me. She said: tell people about your goals because it makes them real and when others know what they are, they can also support you in making them happen. So, that said, here are my goals for the year ahead:
- Knit 6 pairs of socks in 2018 using new-to-me techniques like toe-up or two-at-a-time.
- Expand my Doll & Me knit series with new designs.
- Continue the Good Knits project with a goal donation of at least $1,500 to children's charities.
- Knit from stash only (no new yarn purchases).
- Start a knit group (I would love to form a group of local knitters to meet with on a regular basis).
So there you have it. My list for 2018. Cheers to fresh starts!
Happy New Year, friends!